Robaina's

Robaina's
Robaina's plantation

Thursday 22 September 2016

Armando Miguel Padron (Tobacco Grower) El Corojo, Pinar del Rio

                   On my previous post I visited the Tobacco Nursery that was operated by Jesus in El Corojo, Pinar del Rio. Afterwards we visited Armando Miguel Padron, a tobacco grower and friend of Jesus. There isn't a lot I can tell you about Armando, he didn't talk much and this wasn't an interview. Besides, Jesus was doing enough talking for everyone that day. Jesus was extremely gracious, he explained the entire tobacco growing process, from start to finish, beginning from his nursery and finishing up here on his friend's farm.
                   Armando Miguel Padron is not a well known figure such as Robaina or Hector Luis but he is a recipient of the Hombre Habano Award in 2008 for production. He had people preparing the fields for the shade grown leaf that will be used for wrapper. The workers were setting up the wires that will travel atop of poles across the fields that will be eventually covered with cloth. The cloth forces the leaves to work harder to receive the rays of the sun which creates the larger leaf used for the wrapper. His fields had just been transplanted that week and as you can see from the pictures, the plants were still in recovery mode.
                  I'm going to try to visit Armando again this coming November and hopefully I can ask him a few questions....maybe smoke one of his cigars if he has any. I have no idea how to get there, I have someone that takes care of that for me and I'm not familiar with the area as of yet. I hope you enjoy the photographs.









Armando Miguel Padron


Hombre Habano Award 2008



























Armando


Jesus



Jesus, Armando and Myself

No comments:

Post a Comment