Robaina's

Robaina's
Robaina's plantation

Monday 20 March 2017

Club de Autos Antiguos (Havana) Car Show

                  A couple of years ago, riding on the tail of a new found interest in Cuba, the Discovery Channel launched a show called 'Cuban Chrome'. I absolutely loved it and vowed to meet the principal actors-Cubans on my next visit. I got lucky and met with most of them on that trip. First I saw a couple of them showing a few cars near the Hotel Nacional and later meeting a few others at a Car Show I was invited to at the Tropicana. That Car Show is organized by the 'Club de Autos Antiguos' (Antique Car Club) in Havana and still takes place the first Sunday of every month. I received an invitation by email to the next meeting and was pleasantly surprised to see that I would arrive the day before and the location had been switched from the Tropicana, which is relatively far and hard to get to, to the 'La Cecilia' complex (restaurant-nightclub) located walking distance from my Casa. The usual players were there but I had a very lengthy conversation with the superstar mechanic that was on the show....it was his wife that had sent me the invite and who I've kept in touch with since then. Anyone can go, there is no cover, but you pay for whatever you consume in food and beverage. It's not expensive since most people there are locals.
                    So if you're a car buff and happen to be in Havana the first Sunday of the month, consider this an invitation as I'm sure they would love to attract a more universal crowd.



La Cecilia
5ta Avenida, No. 11010, entre 110 y 112





Ricardo Medel 'The Professor' and his wife Lupe Fuentes


The Car Ricardo Medel was fixing for the Discovery Channel's show 'Cuban Chrome' 





























No comments:

Post a Comment